Gail Thornton
a pictorial archive of horse


The Dog Cart

Dogcarts derived directly from gigs and were either two or four wheeled vehicles.  As their name suggests they were originally used for the transporting of sporting dogs which were carried under the seat.  They often had louvered or slatted sides to provide ventilation for the dogs that were on their way to hunts, shoots or country matches.  However dog carts, particularly the four-wheeled versions, became popular on country estates for general use, such as collecting luggage or transporting the family to church or market.

In this postcard you can clearly see the slatted underboot beneath the driving seat giving ventilation should you wish to transport livestock. Passengers sat back to back, one next to the driver facing forward and two facing backwards with their feet supported by an angled footboard on chains which again can be seen very clearly in this picture. Though not postally used someone has written the name Edith.F.Gandel on the back of the postcard though whether this is the name of one of the ladies in the picture it does not say.

The four-wheeled dogcart first appeared around 1860 and drawn by either a single horse in shafts or a pair harnessed to a carriage pole. However in this picture the vehicle is well turned out with a team of horses, what a spectacle this must have been trotting down the road. 

Another postcard with no means of identification as it has not been postally used. One could assume that this is a boys day out, maybe to some sporting event, as they are very well turned out. The vehicle could possibly be on hire as this was a cheaper way of accessing transport than keeping your own.

E W and G Osgerby were coach builders located locally to me in Highgate, Beverley, East Yorkshire.  They were established in 1863 and the premises included blacksmiths, wheelwrigts and coach painters.  In 1900 it was employing 12 men, 5 of whom were Osgerbys.  The firm closed towards the end of the 20th century though their workshops can still be seen in the York Castle Museum.

Ellaline Terriss was a popular English actress and singer in the Edwardian era.  She became Lady Hicks when she married the actor and producer Seymour Hicks in 1893.  Mary Ellaline Terris was the daughter of actor William Terriss who was unfortunately murdered in 1897.  She went on to live to be 100.  Though it is difficult to see without the aid of a magnifying glass the dog sittting in the footwell has a muzzle on suggesting that he is not happy accepting others attention.  There is nothing on the postcard to suggest where this was taken though one could assume that it was outside her house in London.



This image was captured by Walford & Son's located in Fenny Stratford, Buckinghamshire but as to any other means of idenfitication there are none.  What is interesting is the weel turned out pony which has had its tail docked so that it does not get caught up in the vehicle or wheels.

This real photograph looks like it had been printed over another image.  The back of the postcard has not been written on but the photographers mark states that it was printed by F.Butler. Photographer at 98 Armagh Road, Bow E.  Armagh Road can be found in Bethnal Green, London.  What is interesting, and sweet, is the gentleman posing with two puppies in his arms.